Saturday, April 2, 2011

Lazy Saturday

I am really, really enjoying the lazy Saturdays we are having around here.

When Andrew was around 6-7 months or so I developed a weekly "cleaning" schedule/to-do list. It's taking me some time to work out the kinks BUT it keeps myself in order, clean, relatively clutter-free and comfortable so when the weekend comes, I can relax a bit or focus on one specific project. It also helps a lot because I've been so fatigued lately due to whatever that I can spread the work out over the week. :)

So, Saturdays have become quite lazy or busy if we have parties or get togethers to attend. I'd much rather be social than have to clean anyway....and it's nice to leave for an event and not stress about coming home to housework!

***

Andrew had his first "accident" yesterday. Philip had to work late due to a squadron function so Andrew and I went to a friend's house for dinner. Her husband is a police officer and works evenings so it's was nice to visit with her. She has three little ones, ages 3, 2 and 9 months and it was so relaxing! They just finished redoing their backyard so there was soft green grass (an anomaly in South Texas), a new patio, a play scape for the kiddos....they all had so much fun together! :D And...it was so nice to have an adult to talk too! I adore Emily and her family, so it was really wonderful! BUT...while playing in the backyard Andrew got too busy and excited and failed to tell me he needed to potty. He peed his pants....BUT, he did stop himself and when I asked him if he needed to go, he said yes. I still had to change his clothes but I'm really proud of him for realizing what was happening and telling me! :D

I bought him more big boy underwear on Thursday....so he's got plenty now. The issue is ALL boy's underwear starts at 2T and they are all a bit big for him! I have to roll the tops down to make them fit, he's so skinny! Anyone know if certain brands start smaller?? I bought him some at The Children's Place at Christmas and those fit really well, but they are expensive!

***

Yesterday I started a project for April called 21 Days of Prayers for Sons. You can read about Day one here as well as find a link to the project. Other than a one doctrinal issues (inherited sin - mentioned in passing through the use of a scripture) in the book, I've enjoyed the prayers and reading it so far. I'm ashamed to admit that my prayer life is NOT what it needs to be. I find myself praying randomly throughout the day but I rarely sit down and just pray to God about life, my family or just PRAISE Him for all He has done. I think this project is a good starting place. The whole purpose is to pray specific passages over your child ten times a day during the week (M-F), each day dealing with a specific topic. Yesterday's was obedience. I only prayed 3-4 times yesterday, but it was a good start! I'm praying right now for patience and help to remember to pray more on Monday! :)

Here is a brief synopsis of the purpose:

I asked God to give me boys. Even before I was married I knew I wanted boys -to raise men who would be different, respecters of women, lovers of God – to teach little men to work with their hands, take commitments seriously and protect the least of these. Warriors, protectors, worshippers, peacemakers and friends – these are the dreams I have for my little ones.

Fast forward twelve years or so. The present-day circus that is my life often finds me asking this question:

WHAT WAS I THINKING?!

Are you a mother of boys who often finds herself wanting to waive the white flag in defeat? Do they drain you, overwhelm you, steal your heart, break your heart and cause you more anxiety than you ever dreamed possible?

Maybe you only have one boy amongst a sea of estrogen and you just can’t figure out how to respond to your boy in a way that affirms all that is good about his masculinity.

There are so many books out there today on the topic of parenting boys that I can’t count them. Nor do I have time to read them all. But even if I did, reading these books and putting the solid tools in them to work still doesn’t come with guarantees.

Knowing this, it becomes quite clear that there is only one thing we can do…

Plead with God.

Pray.

I felt weird at first reading scripture as my prayers...but they are perfect words to say to God when you don't know how to express your thoughts. God knows our hearts and He knows what we want to say! After yesterday I'm convinced that having the right words to say is another reason we have the bible!

There is still time to join if you have a son and want to participate. The book is an ebook and it costs about 6 bucks. I have it on my phone using my Kindle app!

***

Our green beans sprouted! :D So did the watermelon! And we counted 16 buds on the tomato plants this morning! :D The green peppers are ready to go into the ground and the jalapenos...well, that's a different story. They are refusing to grow. We aren't really sure WHAT the issue is there. I do know they are slow growing but I'm not entirely sure they are THIS slow growing. We'll see what happens. ;) Anyone have any tips on jalapenos?

***

I've been addicted to a photo editing site called picnik. We don't have a photo editor on our computer --- for several reasons. We don't have a nice enough camera to really bother with editing photos AND...the editor I want is expensive. This website lets me do very, very basic editing on pictures and it is free. It works for now! :D

***


Everyone have a great weekend!!

*Kym*

No comments:

Post a Comment