Monday, June 6, 2011

Creativity on the weekend

Have you heard about the Natural Parents Network? If you haven't heard of it, and you are a parent, I suggest you check it out. There are so many things to read, activities to do, contests to enter and a huge blogroll where you can find other parents blogging about their lives.

They also have a FB page, which is where I came across the following blog -- though no longer active, the author left up her entries and there are some amazing ideas on there!

Most looked a bit advanced for my little guy, so I tucked them away for future reference. This one however seemed perfect!

I made one small change, and this enabled my two year old to help even more. Instead of cutting out pieces of tissue paper, we tore it into little pieces. My destructive little guy LOVED it.

I took pictures of most of the process, though I never got any that weren't blurry of Andrew destroying paper.

This is a GREAT little craft to do with kids, it took us about an hour. I'm pretty sure when we take it out of the window, it will turn into place mats for the table. :)



Tearing up tissue paper. I bought a packet of 100 sheets at Hobby Lobby for $5.99. We use tissue paper for presents, arts/crafts and usually it can be re-used. We used 7 pieces to make our window decoration.


I peeled back the corners and hung the contact paper in the window before I peeled the backing all the way off. This made hanging it a bit easier.





We pulled a fold out chair from the garage and put it next to the window...it made the perfect little table for Andrew to put the tissue paper pieces right as his height!




When we got to this point, I flipped it over. 


Almost done!

After this, I covered it with another piece of contact paper. That was a bit difficult! ;)

Andrew then asked for his "oga mat".....yep, he thinks it's a yoga mat! (Note -- he sees mommy do yoga several times a week, however...I don't have a mat and he hears me say "I need a mat!!" at least three times during our yoga time. I'm guessing that's why he called it that!)


It is a bit too slick to be a yoga mat for the little one, so now it is hanging in our window. I love it. And I love the fact that my son made it! :)


What creative activities do you like to do with your toddler?


No comments:

Post a Comment